Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pieces fit

Gentle Giant sent a rep to my apartment today to fix my TV stand. Good thing because I was running out of patience and ready to fix the damn thing myself. I was a bit afraid the rep would look at it, say "Sorry, we can't fix this" and then offer to cover the replacement cost. The piece is just so New York I couldn't stand the thought of losing it.

I needn't have worried. The rep came in, glued the leg back into place, used one nail and the stand was fixed. I helped him turn it right-side up and we positioned it in the correct spot. The whole thing took less than 15 minutes. He told me to wait 8 hours before trying to move it. No problem!

I went back to work, where my giddyness carried me through the day. I've been really tired during the day and drinking a lot of Starbucks. Really bad-for-me Starbucks too - a tall iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte with whipped. May as well be called dinner. But the drink works; I'm wired for a good 4 hours afterwards. I'm kind of bummed because while the Starbucks in Fairfield (CT) gets the drink right, none of the NYC ones I've been to know to drop the cinnamon on top of the whipped. It's just in the drink. Kinda flavor overkill. I'm not going to say anything though. The baristas are busy enough.

I haven't been sleeping well. It's partially because of the damn drippy air conditioner above me but also because of an unexpected cause - it's too quiet! My apartment is in the back of the building and faces a shared courtyard. There is no street noise at night. Even sirens are only distant muffled wails. There is no New York City noise, and it's very weird. My circadian rhythm is a bit off too - my body still tries to wake me up at 6:15 AM, no matter how many times I tell it it's OK to sleep until 7:30 or 8 now. I'm sure the sofa bed isn't helping. I dream about sleeping in my bed. How lame is that?

No comments: