Wednesday, October 17, 2007

An end to subway exit confusion

Compass decals. Collect all 128.


Upon exiting the NYC subway system, it's quite common to splat into a small mass of people trying to get their bearings. I went to 28th and Park every morning for a year and a half, and I'd still occasionally walk the wrong way on 28th upon exit.

The city is throwing us a bone, though. Right now it is running an experiment in midtown with featuring compasses on the ground that name all cross streets, so you can actually figure out which way you're supposed to go. The bad news? The compasses are in the ground, meaning more people will stop and not look where they're going.

Personally, I'm still looking forward to Google Maps becoming a GPS system that I can use on my cellphone. Turn by turn directions in walking speed? I am so there.

No comments: