Saturday, December 1, 2007

Metapost: Wachovia to customer: you lose!

It's not nice to laugh at the folly of others, but hot damn this story made me laugh out loud. Some poor guy in Georgia got a letter from Wachovia saying he owed the bank $211,010,028,257,303.00. Hey, at least it wasn't 211,010,028,257,303.01!

Besides, $211 trillion isn't that much...it's only a few more trillion than 70 times the United States Federal Budget. It's only a few trillion more than the 5 richest people in the world are worth, combined. Just set aside $100 from your next 211,000,000,000 paychecks! It'll be easy. Or you could just take Wachovia out to dinner, laugh, smoke some cigars and say what's a few trillion between friends? And a Merry Christmas to you, too, Wachovia!

No worries though, Wachovia says it was just a word processing error! Turns out the amount is actually the guy's account number (he's obviously since closed the account). I hope they offered to pay for the heart surgery their customer will need after reading the letter.

To be fair, I have to say Wachovia was a huge help to me when I went through cashier's check issues while securing my apartment. But I also remember them being extremely rude to me when I first opened my account and how they neglected to tell me that all of my checks would be held two weeks before cashing as a new customer. So I tittered a bit to see them in the doghouse.

No comments: