Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Spoon!

In New York, I've gone from being a picky eater to trying just about anything. There's such a wide variety of yummy food available that you learn to just try anything, regardless of the genre of the food.

If you had asked me a year ago what naan was, I'd have looked at you like you had two heads. Now I'm down for Sirtaj anytime. I used to avoid spicy foods at all costs but Spice (and, um, Chipotle to a certain degree) has changed that. My lunches during the week can range from Korean to Greek to Italian and back again. I am a creature of habit though and so on days when I can't decide what to eat I gravitate towards certain favorites. I love the 5th Ave Epicure (and the super nice staff) and you can't go wrong with Eisenberg's.

A few months ago, however, a coworker and I discovered a cute place called Spoon. It's on 20th St between 5th and 6th. She digs it because they had a wide range of vegetarian-friendly choices; I love it because it inadvertently reminds me of "The Tick." I've tried 5 or 6 different dishes there and have never been disappointed. Their Mediterranean Chef Salad is my favorite, but they also have a nice selection of sandwiches and soups. Their brownies and treats are to die for. Plus, each day they make a different entree special.

I don't even know the specific of what's in my order half the time but it's a healthy mix of protein and veggies. One time two coworkers and I got the special, got back to the office and ended up debating what one of the ingredients was. It was a roasted onion-like thing that tasted kind of crunchy like an apple. I called Spoon and found out they were turnips. Awesome!

And then there are always the old standbys. Last week a crew of 7 peeps from work went to Madison Square Park to get Shake Shack. How I love Shake Shack. The line is killer in the summer -- you can easily wait more than an hour. But it is totally worth it.

Shake Shack is now open year-round.
Even in the cold last week, there was a decent line.

Until this year, Shake Shack would shutter shortly after Labor Day and reopen around Memorial Day. But this year it was announced that Shake Shack would stay open year-round. This excited me to no end...their shakes really do rock.

So even though it was 25 degrees out the day we went, I got a hamburger, fries...and a chocolate shake. Between the wait and the shake, I froze for the rest of the day happily after indulging. You can call ahead now but what fun is that? Part of the experience is waiting forever dreaming of shake.

While we were waiting for our orders, I snapped some cold weather shots of the park. There are these mysterious metal trees around the park. During the fall they blended in, but now with the leaves gone they are exposed like ethereal metal ghosts. Madison Square Park plays host to some interesting art exhibits, and one check of the Conservancy's site confirms the trees are by industrial artist Roxy Paine.

One of the metal trees back in the early fall...


...and blending in last week. They're
on display through Dec. 31.

I like how the sculptures stand out now. They are very cool pieces of industrial art and remind me of Stephane Halluex's amazing creations. The look is perfect for winter as the cold settles in. This winter baby is digging it.

No comments: