Thursday, November 1, 2007

Things to do in New York when you're sick

Ugh. What a crappy week. My cough from last week grew into a full-on bronchial assault this week, and I've pretty much been out of commission.

When I moved into my apartment I remember thinking that it was kind of like my dorm room sophomore year of college. I had a single in the spring semester which was great, but unfortunately I got really really sick just as school started. It took me hours just to work up the strength to walk to the bathroom.. My RA never once checked on me; thank God I had such great friends who brought me groceries, filled my prescriptions and took me to the hospital. My friend B later told me my skin was grey, unlike anything he'd ever seen.

I got over it eventually and still managed to pass all my classes. Though I don't feel that sick now, the memories keep coming back. I haven't taken any official sick days from work, I've been working from home with spattered naps throughout the day. I can't stop coughing and yesterday I started feeling pretty weak. I knew I had to see a doctor.

I'm kind of a doctoraphobe, owing to the fact that they never seem to know what is wrong with me. And yesterday was no different. They asked me my symptoms, drew some blood, poked around for a bit, and came to the conclusion that I either have mono (oh God no) or something else. I've already had mono -- I thought people didn't get it again? The test results won't be in until tomorrow.

So I schlepped back uptown to my apartment, weak from the blood loss. I missed the annual Halloween party at work, which sucks, and I don't think I moved off my couch for a good 5 or 6 hours. I really hate being sick.

No comments: